Let’s face it, in life, it is easy to get overwhelmed by an overly complicated life. Are you aware of the effects that having a complicated life long term can have on your mental health? Increased Stress, Lack of Purpose, Fatigue, Lack of Motivation, Sadness, Irritability, Lack of energy and overall dissatisfaction with life. If you are looking for ways to gain control over your life or current situation, have you considered simplifying?
Simplifying your life can meaning cutting out unnecessary to-do list item, eliminating clutter from your home, fine-tuning your priorities, or otherwise gaining perspective on what truly matters to you. In this post, I will share 5 out of 10 strategies to simplify your life that can be implemented today:
- Identify what is most important to you and get rid of everything else. Identify what really matters the most you and. The things that do not matter are using energy that can redirect elsewhere. What are things that you can purge to make more time for the important things?
- Create a list of the top 5 priorities in your life. Keep this list with you often so can remember what most You can place a copy in your bathroom mirror and another above your bed and one in your wallet.
- Elevate your commitments. We all know that every yes we may have made is not a yes we want to stay. Take a close look at absolutely everything that is going on in your life. Which of these commitments actually delivery value or joy? Which are in line with your 5 priorities listed above. Eliminate everything else.
- Assess how you spend your time. How are you spending your time? Make a list of everything you do in a day and compare that your list of priorities. What can you truly eliminate?
- Simplify your work tasks. Rather than trying to knock off every single task on your to-do list, focus on only the essential tasks and then find ways to eliminate all others. To do this, delegate, outsource and moving them to other days or simplifying drop them off the list.
This is only a small sample of the things that you can do in order to simplify your life. Consider this to be a foundation, thought that will guide you to find new interesting ways to create a simple more satisfying life. With just a little effort, you can achieve simplicity in all aspect of your life. Simplifying your life allows for most positive experiences, decrease negativity, more energy and time for things you enjoy thus improving your mental health. Next blog post will share Part 2 of simplifying your life and its effect on your mental health. If you need additional identify how to simplify your life, Ctrl Shift Balance Mental Wellness can assist with creating a personalized plan for you.
Shift and Simplify,
Shayla Peterson, LCSW, LISW-CP